STEAMED CLAMS WITH GARLIC & CHIVES
Delicious as the protein prelude to a meal, or enjoy as lunch with a tomato salad.
- 4 pounds clams soaked, scrubbed, rinsed and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped onion or shallot
- ¼ cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives or parsley
- 2 in lemons if for juice and 1 cutwedges for serving
- Grilled baguette for serving
In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil. Add the garlic and chopped onion, and cook until garlic is fragrant. Add the wine and clams and increase the heat. Cover the skillet and cook until the clams have opened. Time varies with the size of the clams. When the clams are cooked, remove the ones that did not open. Add the chopped fresh herbs and the juice from one lemon. Stir.
To serve, spoon into four bowls or soup plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and pieces of grilled baguette to sop up the broth.
Makes four servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 136 calories, 11 grams protein, 4 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams fat, 75 mg. sodium, less than 1 gram fiber.