CARROT RAISIN SLAW
This salad contrasts the sharp taste of cumin with the sweetness of raisins. Nutritional benefits include 71% RDA of Vitamin A, 51% RDA of Vitamin K, and 21% RDA of Vitamin C.
- 6 pounds large carrots grated, about 1 1/2or 6 cups
- 6 cups grated cabbage about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 1/2 cup cups raisins plumped in 1 cup hot water
- 5 ounces rice vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
Grate the carrots and the cabbage into a medium bowl either by hand or food processor. Add the hot water to the raisins in a small bowl and let set so the raisins will plump.
In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, canola oil, cumin, sugar, cayenne pepper, chopped fresh parsley. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper.
Drain the raisins and add to the carrots and cabbage. Stir the dressing into the salad and serve.
Makes about 24 – 1/2 cup servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 81 calories, 1 grams protein, 12 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fat (0 grams trans fat), 27 mg. sodium, 2 grams fiber.