THAI PUMPKIN BISQUE
This recipe can easily be transformed for vegan eaters, or add chopped, cooked chicken for carnivores.
- 1 tablespoon fat olive or coconut oil lard or butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste or curry powder
- 3½ cups cooked pumpkin 2 cans
- 4 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk * unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Heat the fat in a heavy soup pot. Add the chopped onion, garlic and curry paste or powder. Stir and cook until the onions start to soften and the mixture is fragrant.
Add the cooked pumpkin and stock, mixing well. Whisk in the coconut milk and maple syrup.
For a smooth, bisque texture, puree in a blender in small batches and return to the soup pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes.
Taste and correct the seasonings with sea salt, curry powder and maple syrup. Ladle into hot soup plates and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Makes 8 servings, each about 1-¼ cup.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 210 calories, 5 grams protein, 20 grams carbohydrates, 14 grams fat, 293 mg. sodium, 5.5 grams fiber.