AUTUMN PEAR SALAD
The flavor combination of ripe pears, toasted nuts, and maple syrup is a classic.
- 2 ripe pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 cups salad greens
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ounces cheese blue, Gorgonzola, feta, Parmesan, Gouda, crumbled or shredded
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds or nut of your choice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Maine maple syrup
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
To prepare the salad:
Core the pears and cut into bite-sized chunks. Sprinkle with lemon juice to keep from browning.
Add the greens to a large salad bowl. Top with the red onion and dried cranberries. Add the pears. Crumble the cheese over the top and sprinkle the nuts. Pour the dressing over the salad and coat evenly.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 218 calories, 5 grams protein, 22 grams carbohydrates, 13 grams fat, 164 mg. sodium, 4 grams fiber.