Stuffed French Toast
When prepared with whole-grain bread, this tasty Breakfast treat is a nutritional powerhouse!
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons fresh Ricotta cheese *
- 4 tablespoons Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- Maple syrup for serving
- Powdered sugar for serving
In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs and milk. Lay the bread in a shallow pan, and cover with the egg mixture. Use a fork to poke holes in the bread so that the bread completely soaks up the egg and milk. Measure out your ricotta and Strawberry Rhubarb Jam and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and heat a platter to serve the French toast. Heat a large griddle over medium-high heat and lightly brush is with butter. Grill the bread on one side, then turn over. Spread the ricotta on 2 slices of bread and the strawberry rhubarb jam on the other 2 slices. Brown the bottom, then carefully combine the two sides. Slice in quarters and arrange on the heated serving plate. Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top and serve with maple syrup. Makes two servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 434 calories, 22 grams protein, 67 grams carbohydrates, 12 grams fat, (0 grams trans fat), 510 mg. sodium, 6.4 grams fiber.
* Several local dairies offer a handcrafted ricotta cheese, including Appleton Creamery, Balfour Farm, and Tide Mill Farm. Warning: once you’ve experienced them, your taste buds will be spoiled! No more supermarket ricotta.