WILD BLUEBERRY WAFFLES
Freeze these tasty treats for a quick breakfast or snack
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- ¼ cup Melted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2/3 cups Maine wild blueberries
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder, and grated nutmeg.
- Separate the eggs, the whites in a small bowl and the yolks in a medium bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Add the milk, melted butter, and maple syrup to the egg yolks. Without washing the beater, beat until combined.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture. Stir well and let rest for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle two tablespoons flour over the Maine wild blueberries and shake to coat.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Fold the egg whites and Maine wild blueberries into the waffle batter. Scoop into prepared waffle iron and cook until golden.
- Serve with Wild Blueberry Fruit Sauce and Maine maple syrup.
Nutritional analysis per waffle: 186 calories, 6 grams protein, 25 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams fat, 129 mg. sodium, 1 gram fiber