WILD BLUEBERRY GINGERBREAD
Old-time Maine cookbooks say to add 1 cup frozen wild blueberries dusted with flour to your favorite gingerbread recipe.
- 1 cup molasses
- ¼ pound butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup frozen wild Maine blueberries dusted with flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9- inch x 13- inch pan.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream together molasses and butter.
- Beat in the egg.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, add to creamed mixture, beating to combine.
- Stir in 1 cup of boiling water. Scrape sides and mix well.
- Fold in the frozen wild Maine blueberries.
- Spoon into prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack.
- Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream.
Makes 16 servings. Nutritional analysis per serving: 139 calories, 2 grams protein, 23grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fat, 195 mg. sodium, 1 gram fiber.