WILD BLUEBERRY BAKED FRENCH TOAST
A simple breakfast casserole that is prepped the night before and baked in the morning. This recipe serves four. For a big crowd, double the recipe and use a 9” x 13” pan
- For the French toast casserole:
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces oatmeal or whole wheat bread (2 – 4 slices, depends upon thickness)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Maine maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- For the topping:
- 1 cup Wild Blueberry Fruit Sauce
- To prepare the casserole: In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, maple syrup, milk and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Generously grease a 5” x 8” ovenproof pan.
- Cube or cut the bread to fit into the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap and cover the pan with foil. Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until set and golden brown, about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Serve warm covered with Wild Blueberry Fruit Sauce
Chef Cheryl’s notes: This recipe would EASILY scale up to feed a crowd of hungry children. Let’s feed our kids real food!! Nutritional analysis per French Toast serving (approximate, varies): 169 calories, 8 grams protein, 19 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams fat, 67 mg. sodium, 2 grams fiber. Nutritional analysis per toast with ¼ cup sauce serving (approximate, varies): 250 calories, 8 grams protein, 39 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams fat, 327 mg. sodium, 4 grams fiber.