Now that the festivities from the big turkey day are over, all that is left is to finish the dishes and enjoy the “encores”. What family doesn’t love hot turkey sandwiches with mashed potato smothered in gravy? Or a savory turkey soup or turkey pot pie packed with veggies?
This year, I’m expanding our borders and exploring the colorful, rich and stimulating cuisine of Mexico by treating folks to some delicious and nutritious turkey enchiladas.
Enchiladas are Mexican street food; savory soft corn tortillas with a variety of fillings and smothered with a spicy, savory sauce. Often filled with meat and or beans, enchiladas have no set rules or recipes for their preparation. This allows for plenty of creativity from the cook.
This turkey enchilada recipe is for a layered casserole. The method of preparation is similar to that of lasagna. I’ve added lots of veggies: corn, chopped spinach and beans, to make it a meal in itself. Be adventuresome and add some more! If you have an abundance of turkey, the recipe scales up easily to a 9 by 13 inch pan. (I’ve even prepared it for 200.)
Once cooked and cooled, the cut pieces of casserole will wrap and freeze easily for quick and easy meal. To complete your festive repast, top Turkey Enchiladas with a dollop of chipotle cream (made from sour cream and canned chili in adobo sauce to taste) and guacamole. Mix up a Wild Blueberry Margarita and enjoy!
TURKEY ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- 6 – 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce
- pound ½chopped cooked turkey or chicken
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach drained
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese about 1 cup
- Sour cream & guacamole for serving optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 6 x 9 inch casserole pan.
- On the bottom of the pan, spread about ½ cup of the sauce and top with 2 of the corn tortillas.
- Mix the cooked turkey with the chopped spinach and ½ cup of sauce and spread on top of the corn tortillas. Lay 2 more corn tortillas over the mixture. Combine the corn with the black beans and ½ cup of sauce and spread over the corn tortillas.
- Add the last 2 corn tortillas to the top, spread the remainder of the sauce over these and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in oven until bubbly and hot, about 35 – 40 minutes. Let rest about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Top with sour cream and guacamole. Makes six servings.