Cacao has been enjoyed for its healthful and invigorating properties by the South American cultures for thousands of years. Derived from the bean of the cacao plant, the powder is the source for all chocolate and cocoa products. Cacao contains a naturally rich supply of antioxidants, and is a good supply of dietary fiber. It is also known to be one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium, flavonols, and polyphenols.
The preparation of these fudgy brownies is quite simple. Start with room temperature butter, and using your electric mixer, cream it until light and fluffy with the sugar and then beat in the vanilla extract and egg. Add the melted chocolate and unsweetened applesauce, and lastly the dry ingredients. The key to the texture of these brownies is in the baking; for a fudgy, dense texture watch the brownies carefully and do not over bake. If your tribe prefers a more cake-like brownie, bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
At only 95 calories per brownie, I’ll be tempted to enjoy more than one. For this festive occasion and as a nod to the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks, serve with scoops of Orange Sherbet and Coffee Ice Cream. This year’s football extravaganza has been dubbed the “Super Bowl” in more ways than one, and the variety of butter you use to bake with is purely a personal choice.
“Superbowl” Fudgy Brownies
- 3 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cacao powder or Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup white or brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ounce semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted (about ¼ cup)
- 1/4 cup Apple Sauce unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract and cream together until fluffy. Beat in the melted chocolate, and then the applesauce. On low speed, beat in the dry ingredients. Spread the mixture in the pan and bake until just set, around 25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan and cut into 16 squares.