Spinach and Apple Salad
The basic components of a “dessert” salad are local greens, fruit, nuts and cheese. This “dessert” salad is made with local spinach, apples, nuts and cheese, and is dressed with Maine Wild Blueberry Dressing.
- 3 small apples
- 4 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions or red onion
- 4 tablespoons toasted almonds
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese or feta
- 4 tablespoons Wild Blueberry Dressing
- Toast the almonds on a cookie sheet in a 350-degree oven until they just start to brown. Remove and let cool. Wash and pick over greens. Spin dry and break into bite-size pieces into a large salad bowl.
- Core the apples and cut into bite-size pieces and add to spinach. Chop scallions and add to salad. Just before serving, toss with the dressing until well coated. Portion into salad bowls. Sprinkle the tops of each salad with crumbled cheese and toasted almonds.
- Serves 4 people.
- Any combinations of fruit make a nice salad. Try pears or oranges, dried cranberries, even wild blueberries! Vary the cheese. Goat cheeses work well also.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 112 calories, 5 grams protein, 11 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams fat (0 grams trans fat), 105 mg. sodium, 5 grams fiber.