Slow-Cooker Moroccan Vegetable Stew
Start in the morning, and come home to work to the fragrant aromas of supper simmering away.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 carrots (about 12 ounces), peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and diced eggplant (1 medium)
- 2 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 cups chopped turnip or rutabaga
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 jar Classic Marinara Pasta & Pizza Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans (1 – 15 ounce can)
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- In a small sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and spices and cook until the garlic is soft, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic! Scrape the mixture into a slow cooker (one with at least 5 quart capacity).
- Add the stock, vegetables, tomatoes, beans, currants, and nuts. Set the cooker on low and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove about 3 cups of the cooked mixture to a blender or food processor, and carefully puree. Return to the slow cooker, stir, and season to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper. Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
- Yield: about 12 cups or 8 servings
Nutritional analysis per serving: 292 calories, 10 grams protein, 36 grams carbohydrates, 14 grams fat, (0 grams trans fat), 741 mg. sodium, 8 grams fiber.