Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Stew
This stew is a meal in itself. Serve with whole grain bread and Chestnut Applesauce for dessert.
- 1 pound beef trimmed of fat and cubed
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery chopped or ½ cup chopped celeriac
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups Plum Regal Puree 1 jar
- 2 medium carrots chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups tomato juice or water
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 small potatoes scrubbed, peelings on, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients except chopped cabbage and edamame to your slow cooker, and cook on low heat for 6 – 8 hours.
- Add the cabbage and edamame, increase heat to high and cook for 30 minutes.
- Makes about 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 352 calories, 33 grams protein, 39 grams carbohydrates, 8 grams fat, 837 mg. sodium, 8 grams fiber.