MAPLE ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES
The maple syrup highlights the natural sugars of root vegetables. Vary the root vegetables to include beets and potatoes. Maple Roasted Root Vegetables are an excellent way to utilize regional, seasonal ingredients, and provide over 200% of the RDA for Vitamin A, 41% RDA for Vitamin C, and 19% for Vitamin K.
- 2.5 pounds peeled and chopped sweet potato
- 2 pounds peeled and chopped turnip
- 2 pounds peeled and chopped parsnip
- 2 pounds peeled and chopped carrots
- 1.5 pounds onions chopped (be sure to leave in chunks, not finely chopped)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- cup .5olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. In large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup and olive oil. Coat the vegetables with the mixture and season to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Roast the vegetables in a preheated 450 degree oven until the vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes. Stir and shake the vegetables every few minutes to cook evenly. Season to taste again with sea salt and fresh pepper.
Makes about 25 servings. Nutritional analysis per serving: 166 calories, 2 grams protein, 30 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams fat, 53 mg. sodium, 4.5 grams fiber. Meal suggestion: Maple Roasted Root Vegetables, Grilled Chicken Breast or Hamburger, Sautéed Spinach and Apple Slices for dessert.