MAINE APPLE- GINGERBREAD
This is a wonderful snack based on a very old recipe for hot-water gingerbread. The chopped apples give these cakes extra moistness and a wonderful flavor. Maine Apple Gingerbread may also be made into mini-muffins. They all freeze well.
- .5 cup canola oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups molasses
- 2 cups hot water
- 5 cups whole meal flour available in health food stores or use whole wheat
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 6 in medium apples cored, unpeeled, choppedthe food processor
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease or spray a full-sized hotel pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the canola oil, applesauce, egg, and molasses. Set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the whole meal flour, cinnamon, ginger and baking soda. Fold in the chopped apples. Mix in the molasses mixture, then stir in the two cups of hot water. Spread in the pan.
- Bake in 375 degree oven until a toothpick comes out clean, about 45 - 50 minutes. Let cool on a rack for a few minutes, then remove from the muffin tin.
Cut into 32 pieces. Nutritional analysis per serving: 165 calories, 3 grams protein, 29 grams carbohydrates, 4.5 grams fat (0 grams trans fat), 134 mg. sodium, 3 grams fiber. * Whole meal flour is made by grinding grain (wheat berries) and contains the germ and bran of the wheat. It can often be purchased in health food stores, or you may substitute whole-wheat flour.