Free-Form Apple-Cranberry Tart
This delicious Free-Form Apple-Cranberry Tart recipe was adapted from The Apple Lover's Cookbook by Amy Traverso.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1 large egg yolk, mixed with 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- 3-4 apples, peeled, cored, and slides
- 1/3 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg, beaten well
- Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt for the crust and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or simply with two knives. When the mixture begins to resemble cornmeal, stir in the water and egg yolk mixture with a fork, adding a bit more water if necessary. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead a bit until it forms a ball, cover with saran and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, peel, core, and slice the apples. Combine in a bowl with the orange extract.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar, and cloves.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is a circle (or vaguely circle-shaped) of about 16 inches in diameter. Transfer to a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Put half the apples in the center, topping with half the cranberries and half the sugar mixture, then repeat with the remaining apples, cranberries, and sugar. Fold the dough up over the edges of the fruit, allowing it to drape over itself with each fold. Brush the dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp of sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400, and then reduce the heat to 375 degrees. Bake an additional 25 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes and then serve warm.