- This event has passed.
Open Farm Day at Rabbit Hill Farm
July 26, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
RABBIT HILL FARM & CHERYL WIXSON’S KITCHEN
148 Barbour Farm Road
OPEN FARM DAY JULY 26, 2015
Located on the island of Deer Isle in Stonington, Rabbit Hill Farm is a diversified certified organic farm, cider orchard, and rabbitry. The rabbits, raised for meat and fiber, are an important component of the farm’s unique soil-building technique. Farm crops like cucumbers, asparagus, beans and apples were the inspiration for the specialty food company Cheryl Wixson’s Kitchen.
- 9 AM – Rabbit feeding. Children are encouraged to assist Chef Cheryl harvest pasture & feed 4 does, 2 bucks and an assortment of 30 kits of varying ages.
- 10 AM – 1 PM Farm tours, soil building techniques
- 1 PM – Trip to shore for clamming demonstration
- 11 AM – 3 PM Enjoy samples of Deer Isle Clam Fritters or Rabbit Hill Corn Fritters with Organic Maine Apple Ketchup
- 5 PM – Lobster feed & dance party! If you plan to stay for dinner, PLEASE RSVP BELOW.
Directions to Rabbit Hill Farm:
Take Route 15 onto the island of Deer Isle and proceed to Deer Isle village. As you pass the red house and go down the hill, turn right off Route 15 onto the Sunset Road. The Deer Isle Post office and the Pilgrim’s Inn will be on your left. Follow this road for 4.2 miles.
Turn right onto Barbour Farm Road, a dirt road. Follow this road to the end, keeping left and up the hill, for 1 mile. Please park in the field. Shuttle van is available or walk to the end of this road, keeping left and up the hill, for ¾ mile.
Please note: This is a private road and parking is limited. Please drive slowly.
While on Deer Isle…
Bring the the whole family to Deer Isle and explore our beautiful island. Stonington harbor has the largest lobster landings in the world, be sure to visit the interactive touch tank wall at Penobscot East, take a ride on the mailboat to Isle au Haut, or visit Nervous Nellies Jams & Jellies.
We looking forward to seeing you on July 26!