CHICKEN POT PIE WITH MAINE MASHED POTATOES
I love anything smothered with Maine mashed potatoes. Vary the vegetables in this savory pie, and in the winter, use frozen peas, corn and carrots. Be sure to save the carcasses from roast chicken and prepare your own stock.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 quarts stock hot
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram seasonings may vary
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- 3 pounds cooked chicken diced
- 1 pound zucchini and/ or summer squash diced
- 1/2 pound celery chopped
- 1/2 pound onion chopped
- 1/2 pound carrots sliced and cooked until al dente
- 5 pounds potatoes cooked and made into mashed potatoes
- In a large pot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Add the stock slowly, simmering and whisking to form a smooth sauce. Stir in the thyme and season to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Scrub the potatoes. Cook in boiling water on top of the stove until tender. Drain, reserving the water. Add milk, butter, salt and pepper and some of the cooking liquid. Mash.
- Cut up the vegetables. Steam or cook them briefly. In a large bowl, mix together the vegetables, chicken and gravy. Spoon into a hotel pan. Smooth the mashed potato over the top. Cook in a 350 degree oven until hot and the top is golden brown.
Makes 25 servings. Nutritional analysis per serving: 267 calories, 16 grams protein, 21 grams carbohydrates, 13 grams fat (0 grams trans fat), 535 mg. sodium, 2.3 grams fiber.