CARROT RAISIN SLAW
This salad contrasts the sharp taste of cumin with the sweetness of raisins. Nutritional benefits include 71% RDA of Vitamin A, 51% RDA of Vitamin K, and 21% RDA of Vitamin C.
- 6 pounds large carrots grated, about 1 1/2or 6 cups
- 6 cups grated cabbage about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 1/2 cup cups raisins plumped in 1 cup hot water
- 5 ounces rice vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Grate the carrots and the cabbage into a medium bowl either by hand or food processor. Add the hot water to the raisins in a small bowl and let set so the raisins will plump.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, canola oil, cumin, sugar, cayenne pepper, chopped fresh parsley. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Drain the raisins and add to the carrots and cabbage. Stir the dressing into the salad and serve.
Makes about 24 – 1/2 cup servings. Nutritional analysis per serving: 81 calories, 1 grams protein, 12 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fat (0 grams trans fat), 27 mg. sodium, 2 grams fiber.