Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tortilla Casserole
- 1 jar Emily's Taco Sauce
- 6 6 inch organic corn tortillas, stacked and then cut into tortilla chip size pieces
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced and cooked until al dente
- olive oil
- taco seasoning
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a small oven dish, 8 by 8 or 9 by 9 inch. A small lasagna pan is fine.
- In a fry pan, heat the oil and cook the onion. Add the ground beef or turkey and cook. Season with the taco seasoning. Stir in the cooked sweet potato. Set aside.
- To prepare the casserole: Layer ½ of the corn tortillas on the bottom of the pan. Layer ½ of the meat mixture, ½ beans, and ½ cup of the grated cheese. Add ½ of Emily’s Taco Salsa. Repeat the layers, with the tortillas, meat, and beans and remaining salsa. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and sliced avocado.
- Makes six servings.