BASIC PIE CRUST
This recipe comes to me from my mother, a superior pie maker. She’d mix up a batch of dough and make pies for the neighbors in a heartbeat.
- 835 grams all purpose flour
- 20 grams salt
- 454 grams fat (lard, butter, shortening or a combination)
- 195 grams iced water
- Weigh out the all purpose flour and add to the bowl of your food processor. Add the salt and pulse until blended.
- Add the fat, and pulse briefly and continually until the fat is worked into the flour. The dough will start to stick together. You can remove a handful and shape it into a ball.
- Gradually add the iced water. You may not need it all. Pulse until the entire mass sticks together. Remove and divide into six balls, each about 250 grams. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: 6 single pie crusts that will fit a 9 inch pie.