BAKED VEGETABLE STEW
A pot of this hearty vegetable stew will warm the soul. Serve with crusty bread, fresh tomato salad & apple crisp. Adapted from Eating Well magazine
- 1 pound potatoes scrubbed, and sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 leeks thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery or celeriac
- 2 inch zucchini halved and sliced ¼thick
- 10 ounces mushrooms sliced or chopped
- 4 cups chopped artichokes (canned fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups Farmers Veggie Pasta & Pizza Sauce 1 jar
- 2 cups Plum Regal Puree 1 jar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 piece of Parmesan cheese rind
- Parmesan cheese grated for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large, ovenproof soup pot (at least 6 quart capacity), pour the oil, and arrange the potato slices on top. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper. Layer the remaining vegetables, sprinkling with chopped parsley, sea salt and fresh pepper. Pour the tomato sauce over the top, add the cheese rind, then add the water. (The vegetables will not be completely covered) Bring to a boil on top of the stove, then cover and transfer to the oven. Bake until the vegetables are just fork tender, about 60 – 75 minutes. Serve in soup plates garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 203 calories, 5 grams protein, 25 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams fat, 529 mg. sodium, 6 grams fiber.