AROOSTOOK WHEAT BERRY FRUIT SALAD
Wheat berries are the whole, unprocessed kernels of wheat. Packed with B vitamins, zinc, iron, and fiber, they have a chewy texture and nutty flavor. To cook, combine 4 cups berries with 14 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes or more. Drain and rinse. Cooked berries may be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
- 7 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1 cup Orange juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 apples cored, unpeeled, and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups toasted chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the cranberries and orange juice. Warm a bit in the microwave and let soak.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, pecans and apple chunks. Add the cranberries and orange juice, stirring gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the raspberry vinegar, chopped parsley and olive oil. Add to the wheat berries.
- Season to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper.
Makes 25 servings, each about 1/2 cup. Testing note: More chopped fruits may be added to this salad to encourage young people to try it, like blueberries and strawberries. Nutritional analysis per serving: 218 calories, 5.5 grams protein, 30 grams carbohydrates, 9.6 grams fat (0 grams trans fat), 120 mg. sodium, 5 grams fiber.